International Relations Round Table (IRRT) seeks a volunteer editor for International Leads commencing July 2017. The IL Editor serves a two-year term, renewable once, which begins immediately following the 2017 ALA Annual Conference.
International Leads (IL) is the official publication of the International Relations Round Table (IRRT). The purpose of IL is to disseminate information about international librarianship and the activities of the Round Table. IL seeks to support Round Table and Association objectives by bringing members news, brief articles and reviews that help them understand and react appropriately to recent developments in international librarianship. It seeks items of timely value and emphasizes current reports and programs undertaken by the Association and the IRRT. IL is published quarterly, edited by a member volunteer and uploaded to the IRRT website by the IRRT Webmaster.
The Editor of International Leads is responsible for publication of the International Relations Round Table quarterly newsletter including size, content, layout, typography, and other aspects of formatting. The Editor reports to IRRT Publications Committee and IRRT Executive Board. Previous issues are available on the IRRT website at:
- Coordinate International Leads working with the IRRT Publications Committee and the IRRT Executive Board.
- Have responsibility for the content, form and design of IL within the parameters of ALA and IRRT policies and in consultation with the IRRT Publications Committee, the IRRT Executive Board, the ALA International Relations Office (IRO).
- Seek manuscripts and encourage the submission of high-quality articles.
- Review all submitted manuscripts in light of the philosophy, purpose, and general style of the publication. Correspond with authors regarding acceptable, rewriting and resubmission, or rejection of articles.
- Edit and proof manuscript copy.
- Assume final authority for all content in each issue of IL.
- Serve as a non-voting, ex-officio member of the IRRT Publications Committee and the IRRT Executive Board.
- Attend IRRT Publications Subcommittee and IRRT Executive Committee meetings at ALA Annual and Midwinter meetings.
- Experience in publishing and/or journalism, either in editing or writing, sufficient to be able to produce a high-quality publication that addresses interests of the readership.
- Effective communication skills.
- Experience in or demonstrated knowledge of international librarianship.
- Membership in the International Relations Round Table.
More information about the IL Editor’s responsibilities and the editorial statement are available on the IRRT website at: http://www.ala.org/irrt/intlleads/edstatement/editorialstatement
Send inquiries and applications to Colleen Schalm at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline is April 15, 2017.
Applications should include a brief statement about your interest in the position and a description of your skills and background relevant to the position, particularly your experience in publishing and/or journalism, as well as a current resume or CV.